Essay Writing in IELTS
IELTS academic test writing section tests the candidates on their ability to understand and write about a particular topic. Essay Writing in IELTS, basically, the writing part is divided into 2 sections:
- Writing Task 1: Under this, the candidates will be provided with a piece of information in the form of a diagram or a graph. Candidates are supposed to write a report on the same. The word limit should not exceed 150.
- Writing Task2: In the second task, the ability of a candidate to give a clear viewpoint is tested. Candidates are supposed to write an essay of around 250 words on a certain topic.
On both the above writing tasks, the candidates are analyzed on 4 major areas:
Basic tips for Essay Writing in IELTS would be:
- Spend around 20 minutes on task 1 and keep more time in hand for the second task. Reason being, you have to write an elaborated essay in the second task hence you need more time.
- Practice a lot on the Pie charts and graphical information before attempting the final test. It will give you a clear idea of how to write the information in words.
- Maintain a polite tone but also keep an argumentative attitude.
- Keeping the argumentative front gives an idea that you really have views of your own. Use words like: despite the fact, it could also be the case, although etc.
- Strict no to using slangs or informal words.